Getting Diagnosed with a Blood Disorder
If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with a bleeding or clotting disorder, such as hemophilia or sickle cell anemia, you may feel alarmed or concerned. Take comfort in knowing that our team of hematology experts will guide you through your options and provide you with the best treatment plan possible.
The specialists at the Hematology Program at the UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester work with the University of Massachusetts Medical School on extensive blood disorder research and clinical trials, so our patients benefit from the latest diagnostic and treatment options. We offer personalized, high quality care in patient-focused settings at four convenient locations: UMass Memorial Medical Center, UMass Memorial Health – HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital, UMass Memorial Health – Harrington Hospital and UMass Memorial Health – Marlborough Hospital.
It’s likely you’ll only need a single appointment to meet with our team members one-on-one. We’ll answer your questions, discuss your concerns, and provide you with the highest quality of care.
Hematology Disorders We Treat
- Sickle cell disease
- Hereditary and acquired thrombotic disorders
- Platelet disorders
- Von Willebrand disease
- Myleoproliferative disorders, such as essential thrombocytopenia, polythemia vera, myelofibrosis and chronic myeloid leukemia
- Gaucher disease
- Thrombosis and hemostatis disorders
- Hemochromatosis, iron deficiency and other disorders of iron metabolism
- Inherited and acquired anemias
- Treatment of clotting and bleeding disorders during pregnancy
Hematology Disorder Treatments We Provide
- Genetic testing and counseling
- 24/7 access to an expert hematologist
- Targeted therapy
- Stem cell transplant
- Blood and marrow transplantation in a dedicated eight-bed specialized care unit
- Specialized nursing, social work, orthopedic, physical therapy and community resource consultations and referrals
- Patient advocacy