Atrial Fibrillation Treatment
At UMass Memorial Medical Center, our experienced team uses the most advanced techniques and therapies to treat patients with atrial fibrillation, or Afib, the most common type of cardiac arrhythmia.
Experts in Cardiac Arrhythmias
A cardiac arrhythmia (an abnormal heart rhythm), is a serious heart condition that can be life-threatening. With our expertise and experience, our doctors and entire heart team will provide you or your loved one with outstanding care in an environment where the patient comes first.
Our doctors and electrophysiology specialists (doctors who specialize in the treatment of arrhythmias) work together to provide integrated care. Therefore, no matter what your treatment—if you need another heart specialist—you know that you are in the hands of a team that works together all the time, across locations.
Before we treat your Afib, our doctors will want you to undergo cardiac testing and screening to diagnose the exact nature of your arrhythmia.
Our atrial fibrillation treatment goal is to choose the right treatment for you to restore your heart's normal rhythm, control your heart rate and relieve your symptoms.
Treating Atrial Fibrillation
There are two goals with treatment: reduce stroke and manage your atrial fibrillation. Our experts use the latest technology and work with you to develop a treatment plan that may include the following:
- Advanced arrhythmia monitoring
- Anti-arrhythmic medications
- Anticoagulant medications, known as blood thinners (managed by our award-winning Anticoagulation Clinic nurses, technicians and physicians)
- Catheter ablation: Procedure to remove the faulty electrical pathway from the heart
- Convergent Approach: A minimally invasive ablation procedure combining electrophysiology and cardiac surgery
- Cryoablation: Minimally invasive catheter procedure using freezing temperatures to destroy the part of the heart that’s causing the irregular rhythm
- Educational support
- Electrical cardioversion: Using electric current to reset the heart's rhythm
- Left atrial appendage implant: A breakthrough option for AF patients who are considered suitable for warfarin but who have reason to seek a non-drug alternative
- Surgical atrial fibrillation ablation procedures (including minimally invasive procedures)
Atrial Fibrillation Program Awarded Gold Achievement
Our program is the recipient of an American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Get With The Guidelines Gold Achievement Award for treating atrial fibrillation and implementing specific quality improvement measures outlined by the American Heart Association. You have access to best practices and life-saving care, ultimately helping reduce your stroke risk and ensuring a longer, healthier life.
A breakthrough option is now available for Afib patients who are considered suitable for warfarin but who have reason to seek a non-drug alternative. Learn about Left Atrial Appendage Implant.
Watch our webinar.