Attention Patients: The Urogynecology Clinic now is located on West 4 in main hospital building on the Memorial Campus at 119 Belmont Street. See our flyer for more information.
If the embarrassment of urinary incontinence or other pelvic floor disorders is keeping you from enjoying a full and active life, the board-certified subspecialists at UMass Memorial Medical Center can help.
What Is Urogynecology?
Urogynecology is an area within obstetrics and gynecology that focuses on treating women with pelvic floor disorders such as urinary incontinence (urine leakage) and uterovaginal prolapse (bulging of the pelvic organs into the vagina).
Our doctors – called urogynecologists – form the largest team of specialists with advanced fellowship training in Central Massachusetts, evidence of our commitment to providing expert, sensitive care for you and other women with pelvic floor disorders.
Conditions We Treat at UMass Memorial Medical Center
Our team offers you many management options for these conditions:
- Urinary incontinence, including stress incontinence (leakage of urine with physical activity or coughing/sneezing) and urge incontinence (overactive bladder)
- Pelvic prolapse, including uterine prolapse, bladder prolapse (cystocele or dropped bladder) and bowel prolapse (rectocele)
- Anal incontinence (leakage of stool or bowel movement)
- Other problems with urination and defecation
- Genital fistulas
Treatments for Incontinence and Other Urogynecologic Conditions
You can receive the most advanced symptom relief and therapies available today, all in a compassionate, comfortable environment sensitive to your needs. After an initial evaluation, you’re extensively counseled about your condition and treatment options. Once you understand your alternative, we help you make the decision of how to manage your condition. Treatment options may include:
- Nonsurgical therapies, including
- Muscle strengthening (Kegel exercises) and physical therapy
- Behavioral modification
- Support pessaries (silicone forms inserted comfortably into the vagina) for both uterine prolapse and stress incontinence
- Minimally invasive surgery including robotic surgery (laparoscopic surgery) and vaginal procedures without abdominal incisions
- Minimally invasive slings for female incontinence
- InterStim neuromodulation for a variety of problems
- Botox for overactive bladder
A Team Approach to Care
Our team works closely together to achieve the best possible outcomes for women with even the most complex problems. Your care team may include:
- Urologists specializing in female urology
- Colorectal specialists
- Physical therapists
- Nurse practitioners
- Other providers with specialized training in pelvic floor disorders
For additional information, please download our printable brochure, Urogynecology
UMass Memorial Medical Center –
119 Belmont Street, 4 West
Worcester, MA 01605
UMass Memorial Medical Group at Northborough Crossing
333 Southwest Cutoff
Northborough, MA 01532