The UMass Memorial Heart and Vascular Center has a proven track record of superior results. UMass Memorial Medical Center has received local, regional and national recognition for high-quality cardiac and vascular care, including:
- Leading physicians
- Pioneering advancements
- State-of-the-art facilities
The one decision you can be confident in is choosing us for your heart and vascular care. We have the region’s most extensive resources for managing all types of heart and vascular disease.
We demand excellence in everything we do. It’s why our Medical Center is among the best hospitals in New England for heart attack survival and one of the top heart programs nationwide for coronary artery bypass and aortic valve replacement surgery.
Quality Indicators: Heart and Vascular Center
A national leader in cardiovascular care according to many quality benchmarks and measures:
- Recognized by US News & World Report as high performing in cardiac bypass surgery, heart attack and heart failure
- Awarded three stars (highest designation) by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons to our cardiac surgery program:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery (CABG)
- Aortic valve replacement surgery (AVR)
- First hospital in the U.S. to perform an aneurysm repair with a new technology that uses fiber optic cable imaging instead of X-ray radiation
- First hospital in Central New England to implant a miniaturized, wireless monitoring sensor to reduce hospital admissions due to heart failure
- One of only a few hospitals in Massachusetts offering Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair for patients with symptoms of mitral regurgitation
- One of a few hospitals offering a breakthrough non-drug option to reduce stroke in atrial fibrillation patients
- One of just a few hospitals in Massachusetts to perform Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation for patients with severe aortic stenosis.
- Recipient of the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Get With The Guidelines Gold Achievement Award for treating atrial fibrillation
- Named to Healthgrades Best Hospitals List for cardiac surgery, cardiac care and coronary intervention.
Urgent Cardiac Care in Worcester, MA
At UMass Memorial Medical Center, we understand that seconds matter after a heart attack. Our community hospitals, emergency medical services and the Medical Center work together so patients receive the fastest, most appropriate emergency care.
Our achievements and recognitions include:
- Our "door-to-balloon" time (the length of time from when a heart attack patient enters our Emergency Department to when his/her blocked artery is opened in our cardiac catheterization lab) averages 66 minutes, significantly below national standards.
- Modeled on our highly successful reduction in door-to-balloon times for ST-elevated Myocardial Infarction (STEMI) patients, our ruptured abdominal aneurysms (AAA) team is reducing door-to-incision time for AAA through precise coordination among emergency medical services, the emergency room and the operating room.
- The Code Rupture Program, a treatment for patients with symptomatic or ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA), has reduced by half the mortality for this challenging condition.
Pioneering Vascular Care
The Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery and the Vascular Lab at our Medical Center remain the busiest in Massachusetts, performing more than 3,000 procedures and 18,000 noninvasive vascular studies annually — all with consistently excellent outcomes.
- We are the first hospital in the U.S. to perform an aneurysm repair with a new technology that uses fiber optic cable imaging instead of X-ray radiation reducing radiation to the patient and providers during these treatments.
- We have access to the latest technology in the endovascular treatment of aneurysms, including branched and fenestrated endovascular grafts, and aortic arch branched endografts for treating specific types of aneurysms.
- We feature a Limb Preservation Center for patients at risk of limb loss due to peripheral artery disease or diabetes.
One of Healthgrades America's 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care eight years in a row.
Recipient of the Healthgrades Cardiac Care Excellence Award for ten years in a row.
Recipient of Healthgrades Coronary Intervention Excellence Award for 11 years in a row.
First-time recipient of the Cardiac Surgery Excellence Award.
One of Healthgrades 50 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Surgery five years in a row.
Recipient of the American Heart Association's Get With the Guidelines Award