At UMass Memorial Medical Center, you can find neurological care for the simple to complex disorders affecting the human nervous system – the brain, spinal cord and nerves – that control the body’s most basic functions from breathing and swallowing to walking and learning.
UMass Memorial Neurologists Specialize in All Disorders
At UMass Memorial, our team of neurologists provides you with expert consultation, diagnosis, and treatment services for many neurological disorders and specializes in all disorders and conditions of the nervous system including:
- Epilepsy/Seizure Disorders
- Parkinson’s disease and tremor
- Multiple sclerosis
- Stroke/Vascular Neurology
- Gait and balance disorders
- Seizure disorders
- Brain tumors
Offering a Wide-range of Neurological Treatments
At UMass Memorial, you and your doctor can access a wide range of advanced tests and evaluation options to identify your neurological disorder and help you get the right treatment you need.
Some of the many neurological services available to you include,
- Electroencephalography – Tests brain wave function
- Electromyography – Evaluates muscle health and the nerves controlling muscles
- Electronystagmography – Measures inner ear nerve function, dizziness and vertigo
- Long-term evaluation and care of epilepsy
- Polysomnography (multiple sleep latency) - Tests for sleep disorders
- Somatosensory evoked potentials - Evaluates the electrical signals of sensation going from the body to the brain
- Specialized clinical testing, ischemic exercise testing, lumbar puncture
- Injection of botox for muscle control or involuntary muscle contractions
Areas of Neurological Research at UMass Memorial Medical Center
In partnership with UMass Chan Medical School, we hope to improve your life and the lives of others with neurological disorders. Some of our current research programs focus on:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Biochemical Approaches to ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Stroke and dementia
- Treatment for Parkinson’s and other movement disorders
- Traumatic brain injury
Research and Clinical Trials
Through our partnership with the UMass Chan Medical School, we offer you the latest in research and clinical trials in conditions of the nervous system. This means that you benefit from advanced diagnostic and treatment options that come from this research. Learn more about research and training in neurology.
Neurology Care Close to Home
In addition to our Medical Center, our community hospitals offer you access to consultative and treatment resources for the full range of neurological conditions in locations that are convenient for you.