MBCT 8-Week Online Live
What is MBCT?
Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) is an 8-week program for people with depression. MBCT combines the practice and clinical application of mindfulness meditation with the tools of cognitive therapy to break the cycle of recurrent depression. For more information on MBCT and to determine if it is right for you, click here.
This program is most beneficial:
- For those who have suffered from recurrent depression
- For those who have been advised to remain on antidepressant medication for the rest of their life to prevent a recurrence, as MBCT may be a welcome alternative
- For those interested in an opportunity to learn a new way of relating to unwanted thoughts and feelings and powerful skills for responding to them in an intentional and skillful manner
What is the MBCT 8-Week Live Online program?
This course is delivered live through video conferencing. Participants engage with the teacher and interact with one another through their computer during class time and for home assignments and practice.
A computer and high-speed internet connection are required. Mobile devices such as phones and tablets are not recommended.
What is the course structure and commitment?
The MBCT program consists of:
- Orientation (required for enrollment, no charge)
- Eight weekly classes, 2 1/2 hours each (31 hours direct instruction)
- One All-Day class on a Saturday or Sunday, between classes 6 and 7
- Daily home practice assignments for 45-60 minutes each day
- You must be willing to make a strong commitment to attend all classes and to practice daily home assignments for eight weeks. If you are unable to attend your regularly scheduled class, we encourage you to make up the class by attending a different class that same week
- In order to receive a completion letter for the course, you may not miss more than two classes, and you must attend the All Day session. If you cannot attend the All Day session during your course, you may make it up at a later time and receive completion status.
To Get Started:
- Look at the class schedule to determine days and times that work for you, and note the date and time of the required Orientation session.
- Review the tuition rates for the 8-week course
- Review the Technology Requirements
- Complete the Registration Form
To ensure the best possible experience for all participants, the program relies on video conferencing which has minimum requirements to work properly. That includes having a computer with speakers, microphone, and video capabilities, and a high-speed internet connection.
For the best learning experience:
- Review the system requirements for the Zoom online meeting platform
- Try out a test meeting
- Test your audio and video in the meeting
- Watch a video tutorial about using Zoom
The first step toward enrollment in MBCT is an Orientation Session - before the start of classes. These Orientation Sessions are required of all participants before beginning the program. During these sessions you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about the MBCT program, ask questions, and explore whether it is right for you
- Meet the program instructor
- Experience, first-hand, mindfulness methods and approaches you will be learning during the program
The All-Day class is an intensive 7.5 hour session of mindfulness practices intended to assist participants in firmly and effectively establishing the use of mindfulness across multiple situations in their lives, while simultaneously preparing them to utilize mindfulness far beyond the conclusion of the MBCT program. This all-day class takes place between weeks five and six. Having established a daily mindfulness practice during the previous 5 weeks, you will be better prepared to benefit from this class.