Foot and Ankle Care
The UMass Memorial Medical Center offers an entire team of foot and ankle specialists who provide advanced care. This includes routine procedures to today’s most innovative treatments.
You have close-to-home access to specialists for acute (sudden) and chronic (ongoing) foot and ankle problems and injuries, such as sprains and strains.
Convenient Foot and Ankle Care in Central Massachusetts
Our team provides a complete range of services from timely, accurate diagnosis, to leading-edge treatment, and thorough physical rehabilitation to help patients get back on their feet and back to their lives.
Our on-site imaging facility gives you fast, convenient access to diagnostic imaging tests, including X-rays, CT scans and MRIs.
Foot Conditions in Adults and Children
The most common foot and ankle injuries we treat in adults and children include:
- Arthritis (painful joints)
- Flatfoot (arch foot deformities)
- Bunions (large bump with deformity of the big toe)
- Hammertoes (toes that are curled due to a bend in the middle joint)
- Foot and ankle sprains and strains
- Foot infections and wounds
- Forefoot pain (pain and discomfort experienced at the top of the foot)
- Heel pain (plantar fasciitis is a frequent cause)
- Lesions and tumors (abnormal growths)
- Simple and complex foot and ankle fractures
- Sports injuries
- Tendonitis (Inflammation of the tendon)
Following a comprehensive evaluation and personalized assessment, your doctor may recommend surgical or nonsurgical treatments to help relieve painful foot disorders.
Foot and Ankle Treatments
We provide a full range of surgical and nonsurgical treatments to relieve painful foot and ankle conditions:
- Foot and ankle surgery, including minimally invasive (arthroscopic) and open approaches
- Ankle, hindfoot, midfoot and forefoot arthritis and deformity reconstruction
- Advanced techniques for foot and ankle trauma, including casting
- Custom foot orthotics such as insoles and braces (including plantar fasciitis orthotics)
- Foot and ankle braces and taping to help prevent sports injuries
- Physical and occupational therapy to help patients recondition and recover from foot and ankle injuries
- Diabetic foot care, including a well coordinated team approach of evaluation, treatment and education
New Low-cost, High-quality Surgical Facility
Many outpatient procedures are performed at The Surgery Center at Shrewsbury, a new outpatient surgery center that provides high-quality, cost-effective advanced day surgery procedures with a focus on sports medicine and hand surgery, as well as other surgical specialties. A collaboration among three leading health care organizations – Reliant Medical Group, Shields Health Care Group and UMass Memorial Health – The Surgery Center provides patient-centered care through an efficient model that improves access, all at an exceptional value.