Good Fit Teen Weight and Wellness Clinic
Virtual Visits Available
Our Children’s Medical Center is open and offering virtual visits for some appointments.
The Good Fit Teen Weight and Wellness Clinic at UMass Memorial’s Children’s Medical Center is your child’s first step on a path toward healthy living. Created specifically for adolescents who are struggling with obesity and its side effects, our multidisciplinary team helps teens create and reach their own personal goals while decreasing their risk for developing medical health problems.
Our six-month teenage obesity treatment program is designed for patients who are committed to achieving better health by focusing on the importance of lifestyle changes, including healthy nutrition and physical activity, as the cornerstone to having long-term success with their weight.
Is the Good Fit Teen Weight and Wellness Clinic the Right Fit for Your Teen?
We consider a number of different variables when enrolling a teen in our Good Fit Weight Loss program. If you can answer yes to the following questions on behalf of your child, Good Fit may be the right fit for your family.
- Is your child a female 13 years of age or older, or a male 14 years of age or older?
- Does your teen have a body mass index (BMI) greater than 35? BMI Calculator
- Does your child have any medical problems related to obesity like high blood pressure, diabetes or pre-diabetes, sleep apnea, PCOS, etc.?
- Has your teen failed to lose weight with prior attempts?
- Are you concerned that your child’s weight is affecting his/her quality of life?
- Are you and your child interested in working with a multidisciplinary team to include a medical specialist, a dietitian and a psychologist?
- Is your teen able to attend regular appointments with these providers for at least six months?
To enroll in the Good Fit program, patients will need to fill out our evaluation questionnaire and submit it for review by our team. If you meet our medical criteria for the Good Fit program, you will either be invited to attend our online orientation program or scheduled for a consultation.
At your first appointment, you'll meet with our program’s medical director who will talk with you to learn more about your medical history, nutritional and exercise habits, and your personal goals. We offer nutritional and behavioral health support in both individual and group formats. Our team will make recommendations and establish a treatment plan to help you meet your goals. Most patients are then seen by our team twice a month for the next six months.
Are You a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery
Teens who are committed to losing weight, but are struggling and making little to no progress, may be good candidates for bariatric weight loss surgery. Ask your child these questions:
- Are you willing to take part in a pediatric psychologic evaluation both before and after surgery, and agree to avoid pregnancy for at least one year after surgery?
- Are you capable of and willing to adhere to nutritional guidelines after surgery?
- Would you consent to surgery?
If surgery is identified as a good fit for your teen, we will work with you and your child to create a customized treatment plans suited to his/her specific needs and goals. Refer to our frequently asked questions for more information about this weight loss option.